Vegan Mofo Day 29 - What would you bring on a vegan road trip?


It's been a while since I did a proper road trip. I used to do lots of Eurolines coach trips to Europe when I was younger staying in Youth Hostels on a very limited budget. I'd book somewhere that included breakfast and eat as much as possible and then the rest of my meals would consist of tomatoes, apples and crusty bread smothered with tubes of  Tartex pate that I'd have brought with me. This would actually be a vegan meal way before I became veggie!

These days we tend to book a cottage somewhere in England and do self catering. We are off to stay in the grounds of Harlech Castle in Wales a few weeks and I can't wait! With this in mind I've focused my post for today on what we'll be taking with us to eat during that week. For me on holiday breakfasts feature heavily and I like to have stuff I wouldn't normally have in the week.


I'll be making a batch of favourite granola recipe - the chocolate, coconut granola from the Vintage Tea Party book. It's vegan bar the honey which I'll sub for Sweet Freedom or Agave. I'm also thinking of making up a mix of the Chocolate Chip Pancakes from Vegan Food Gifts. it's a dry mix that you just add some oil and milk to.


Hopefully we'll find a great local bakery with tasty home made bread. I've been saving these mini marmalades and almond butter sachets for the holiday. I got sent the Pip and Nut along with some others in their range for a Can I Eat It review - seriously, best nut butter ever and palm oil free! The little jar on the left is chocolate sesame spread by Savvy Spreads which is amazing stuff too.


I always make up the tofu scramble herb and spice mix from Vegan With A Venegeance and take that away with us so that we have have scramble with a full English. We're hoping to have lots of days out if the weather allows and lunches will likely be sandwiches and bagels. I'll be making a trip to V Revolution before we go to stock up on cheeses and sandwich meats. Maybe I'll even get a tube of Tartex for old times sake. A packed lunch isn't complete without a few biccies and crisps though is it? We got mistaken for students last week in Manchester during Fresher's week and got given these free samples of Pringles which have gone in the holiday bag. I love that the Texas BBQ flavour are vegan friendly.


We're going to Wales, it'll be October, there's likely to be rain. For those times where we end up holed up in the apartment with books and dvds there's hot chocolate and marshmallows. Not just any hot chocolate and marshmallows either! These are extra special treat ones. There's salted caramel handmade marshmallows from Marshmallow Deli and my favourite ever hot chocolate from London company Jaz and Jules. It's called Caralimelicious which is caramel hot chocolate with a lime twist. The flavour reminds me of bonfire toffee, it is sooooo good.


A night in with a good film needs a wee dram to accompany it so we usually bring the hip flask filed with something from our bar. The white ceramic pineapple was actually a purchase on last year's holiday bought because it matched white ceramic Elvis.


We will be eating some vegetables too, honest! My skin has gone a bit crazy in the last few weeks and after not having any spots for the last few years it's breakout city. Matt is even calling me Rudolph after the big red spot I currently have on my nose. The holiday is a time to slow down and get back on top of my skin care regime as I've been terrible recently and just been using those alcohol infused make ups wipes which I don't think are good to use all the time, for me anyway. So I'll be taking some nice products for my skin and I've got enough black pots to return to Lush to get one of their fresh facemasks too.


Comments

  1. I never thought of making up a pancake mix to take along - brilliant idea! I might do that next time I'm staying in an airbnb with kitchen access. The hot chocolate and marshmallows sound fantastic. I love hot chocolate, but I've only found one vegan cocoa powder here, and it's a bit pricey for how quickly I get through it! Maybe I'll treat myself to a special caramel one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's expensive but worth a treat. I've always bought it from them at stalls at vegan fairs and in London but Marshmallow Deli had it on their site with a free postage offer recently so I couldn't resist. I usually get the variety pack offer where you get three small boxes for the price of one big one. They are all vegan except the white choc one.
      http://www.jazandjuls.co.uk/shop/4576072683/variety-pack/5605965

      Delete
  2. That's a great idea to bring along the tiny marmalade jars and almond butter packets! The marshmallows & hot chocolate sound so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Justin's Vanilla Almond Butter is soooo good. I have a jar I got a friend to bring over from the states and it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend brought it back from a holiday in Chicago for me along with some Earth Balance Mac and Cheese. I've not seen the Justin's here so I'm guessing it's just a US thing?

      Delete
  4. I was just looking at the Vintage Tea Party book the other day in our bookshop -such a cool book! Sounds like a holiday I'd love to take, holed up in a cottage with a fire and stack of books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, gorgeous book! I had to buy it even though there's not too much that's vegan. The granola is so nice I've actually made it for gifts and the violet creams.

      Delete
  5. Just ordered sunshine for Wales for October for you. Have a great time.
    (No refunds on the weather promise).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Tams. Hope all is going well in Leicester for you guys. We went on holiday at the same time last year and got loads of sun but then we were on the South Coast not North Wales!

      Delete
  6. Great picks for the vegan road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That hot chocolate sounds so good! I love hot chocolate. You are very well prepared for vegan road tripping, and it's great that you remembered vegan beauty products too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My family always cooked on the road so as an adult I get so tired of eating out too much. So I usually make a simple breakfast and an easy lunch. Dinner is when we eat out, though one year I want to rent a cabin and do some cooking! Especially when it rains and you can't do all the touristy crap you planned on doing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you are organised. I got some vegan Dandie marshmallows from to try, expensive but a treat ready for the Autumn. I have had marshmallows from Sweet Vegan in the past. PS I love Harlech, that is where i met my future husband, Here are some pics if your interested. http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/harlech-best-beach-in-britain.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marshmallow Deli is the new name for Sweet Vegan. I've never tried Dandies but always wanted to. Thank you so much for the link Shaheen. Reading your post has got me even more excited for the holiday. I have never been there but Matt went when he was young. Did you click on the link to the apartments. They are in what used to be an old hotel. We will be some of the first people to stay there! It's good to see the government investing in tourism in the area.

      Delete
  10. Bars are more expensive than food when my band's on tour. BYOB is a must when road tripping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! When we go to festivals we always try and BYOB.

      Delete
  11. Love the choices of snacks! You have a whole smorgasbord. I love the almond butter packets, too. I'll have to look up that chocolate sesame spread. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that's like a buffet of tasty snacks, or a great lucky dip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love having a place to cook while on holiday...eating out is fun, but it gets old fast. I love all your bring-alongs...chocolate granola sounds over the top yummy.

    I totally want a copy of the Vintage Tea Party book.

    Harlech Castle looks like a lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, this post. I got kinda overwhelmed at the total onslaught of non-stop goodies. I've never heard of pip & nut, but I love that it's free of palm oil!! And homemade pancake mix is such a good idea. I hope you have a great time on your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh, this post. I got kinda overwhelmed at the total onslaught of non-stop goodies. I've never heard of pip & nut, but I love that it's free of palm oil!! And homemade pancake mix is such a good idea. I hope you have a great time on your holiday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cola de Mono

Interview With Lisa Goddard of Lily and Dilly

Growing your own, bargains and a breakfast recipe